This is intended to be a directory of resources for people who have been released from prison. This directory will change as resources are added and changed over time.
We will not be updating this page. Please go to https://www.prisonactivist.org/. They are awesome and have tons of regularly updated information for prisoners, ex-prisoners, and prison activists.
1. Social Security Administration
gives unemployed people $600.00/month (single) or $900.00 (married), and gives ex-prisoners $930.00 once, and only if you go to their office within 48 hours of getting out of prison. But you must take and show them your prison release papers & last two 2 months prison time sheets to get $930.00 check
3100 Smith, Houston, Texas 7706
http://www.ssa.gov/ssi or http://www.ssa.gov
2. Emergency foodstamps
$150.00 at office visit and $110.00 per month per person:
3. 20-40% discount utility bills (air, heat, water, electicity!) + 5% extra senior citizens discount.
4. 100% free government-provided children’s health insurance for children age 16 and under by Congress all towns [So your job can’t charge you for your kid’s insurance] & [It ain’t wellfare dept.] says:
5. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
451 7th Street SW Washington, D.C. 20410
6. Mental health services
7. Free or discount medicine(s)/prescription(s)
- phone: tel:1-800-788-6417
8. Volunteers of America
http://www.seniorcorps.org (pays $200 cash / month to volunteers)
9. Free Dentists at:
10. Free Accredited Colleges courses at:
750+ Free Online Courses from the Best Colleges
11. Jobs that pay before you start work:
- gives up to $4,000 grant money to pay student to pay cost of living/bills
- gives up to $20,000 to $30,000 grant money for student to fellowship at schools in “U.S.A.” & abroad
12. U.S.A. Small Business Administration
loans ex-prisoners $150,000 up to $$1,000,000 for up to 10 years to repay total to open a business in the US.
4300 Amon Carter Blvd. Suite #114, Fort Worh, TX 77074